Virtual Staging: An Innovative Way to Impress Buyers
As more home-sellers turn to virtual staging, we have to ask: Is it really worth it, and does it compare to traditional staging?
According to the National Association of Realtors®, 77 percent of buyers’ agents say that staging makes it easier for buyers to visualize themselves living in a home. As many as 38 percent of sellers’ agents say that they stage all their clients’ homes before listing. Since the benefits of staging have a direct impact on listing performance, virtual staging was developed to give the same benefits that are looking for an alternative to traditional staging.
To determine whether virtual staging is a viable alternative for you, you have to know what it is and how it compares to traditional home staging.
What is Virtual Staging?
Virtual staging, like traditional staging, is decorating a property to showcase its best features and qualities in an effort to make it more attractive to buyers.
“I have always explained to my sellers that buyers will imprint on the first photos they see of a home and will develop their first positive feelings and attraction to a property at that time” describes Jen Williams, Redfin Market Manager in California.
But like the name implies, virtual staging is done with a computer. There’s exactly zero real furniture, area rugs, potted plants or other décor involved. Professional virtual stagers digitally insert decorative elements in high-resolution photos to show empty rooms’ full potential.
What Homes is Virtual Staging Best Suited For?
Virtual staging won’t work for all homes – in many cases, traditional staging is a superior choice. However, it can be a huge benefit if it’s done properly in:
• Vacant homes
• Homes with outdated furniture
• Properties with tenants in them, which leave the homeowner little control over the space’s appearance
If you still occupy your home and you can stage it to make it as appealing as possible to potential buyers, whole-house virtual staging isn’t for you. (You can still virtually stage some rooms if you and your agent think it’s appropriate, though.)
Virtual Staging vs. Traditional Staging
Virtual staging is usually a lot cheaper than traditional staging is. Here’s a quick glimpse at what you’re looking at:
• Virtual staging costs somewhere between $39 and $199 per room, depending on the contractor you use, your location and the amount of space you need staged.
• Traditional staging can cost several hundred dollars per month, depending on the stager you use, how much furniture you need to rent, your location and the number of rooms you need staged.
Price isn’t the only sticking point, though. Each method has its own pros and cons that you’ll have to consider, particularly if you’re trying to sell an empty house.
Pros and Cons of Virtual Staging
Virtual staging can help sell a home faster and for more money – but only if it’s done right. You still need to hire a professional who knows how to take good photos for virtual staging, and you need to work with a reputable company with a great portfolio of completed work.
Check out these side-by-side lists of the pros and cons of virtual staging to help you make the right choice:
Pros of Virtual Staging
- Can help you showcase an empty home’s best features
- Is cost-effective when compared to traditional staging
- Attracts prospective buyers’ attention online
- Offers you the opportunity to stage any number of rooms
- Allows you to stage flex rooms in multiple ways
Cons of Virtual Staging
- Becomes more expensive when you need to remove furniture or items from photos
- Can be difficult to use when the house is occupied, unless you have previous listing photos
- Furniture and décor only exist in the virtual space – buyers will never see it in person
Pros and Cons of Traditional Staging
Traditional staging, which successful real estate agents have been using for decades, doesn’t always require a professional stager. However, it does require an eye for detail and the ability to create a space that appeals to the widest possible range of buyers.
Check out these side-by-side lists of the pros and cons of traditional staging to help you decide whether it’s a better choice for selling your home:
Pros of Traditional Staging
- Gives buyers real-life perspective when they tour the home
- Prevents buyers from having to tour a completely empty, vacant home
- Appeals to buyers’ sense of imagination
- Makes spaces appear larger and enables prospective buyers to gauge size
- Helps your home stand out in buyers’ memories after they leave
Cons of Traditional Staging
- Can be expensive, and you’ll keep incurring costs until the home sells
- Requires stagers to bring in furnishings, décor and other items
- May be unnecessary, depending on how quickly homes are selling in your market
- Common Virtual Staging Mistakes
- The biggest mistake a seller can make is hiring a virtual staging company that’s not good enough. Virtually staged photos should be exceptionally realistic – so real, in fact, that buyers won’t know they’re computer-generated unless someone tells them.
Other mistakes many people make with virtual staging is:
- Failing to provide prospective buyers with photos of empty rooms as well as staged rooms. Buyers may expect the home to look the same as it does in its listing photos, so provide both.
- Choosing virtual staging that makes the home look worse, not better. You have to be careful not to overdo furniture and decorative elements in staged photos.
- Using virtual staging when it’s unnecessary. Replacing furnishings and decorative elements in photos when they’re perfectly fine to begin with can be a significant waste of time (and money).
Could Virtual Staging Help You Sell Your Home?
Virtual staging can be a tremendous asset when you’re selling a vacant home, or one that has wild-card tenants or outdated décor. It allows prospective buyers to view the right vision of the home – not an empty, cavernous space, but one that’s comfortable and easy to live in.
Emanuel has taken several of my listings photos. 2 of the recent homes have gone under contract in the first 2 weeks due to high attention on line as a result of his photos.
Thank you Emanuel for taking these wonderful pictures. Great team work!! You are the best!!!
Had a recent opportunity to work with Emanuel on a new listing I have. He was professional, took beautiful photos- in fact so many great photos that it was difficult to choose which ones to include in my listing. Many thanks!
He is very detailed and has a great eye for real estate photos. He is a must have for this business.!
Emanuel has photographed a few of my properties and I have been delighted for his attention to details. Especially helping to stage the property in the best light. Emanuel is a perfectionist and I highly recommend his photographing services to my peers!
Wow! Thank you. Such amazing photographs you took!! Excited to share them all ASAP and get this listing posted.
Emanuel was great to work with. His photos were amazing. He is very professional and courteous. The program he sets up makes uploading the photos to Trend a breeze. I would highly recommend him to any realtor. I intend to use him again for future listings.
Excellent!! This is the only way to sell your home – superb photos makes buyers walk through the front door…
Emanuel just photographed pictures of two of my listings did a fabulous job on both. My sellers were elated w/ the pictures, He also put them on my Facebook page–both receiving rave reviews. thanks so much Emanuel!
How often does this happen: you hire a professional and you get more than you expected? Not often, but that happened when I worked with Emmanuel to photograph my home! Working with him is an absolute pleasure. He was quick, efficient and detail oriented which I loved! The result was a stunning array of photos that are sure to get the house noticed. There is an art and science to real estate photography and Emmanuel has that eye. Do not hesitate. He is the ultimate professional.
Super professional, punctual, and talented. Loved the photos!
Emanuel is the best. Very professional and courteous and VERY good with that camera. Thanks for the great pics!
I worked with Emanuel on two listings in the past week. Pictures look great and he was a pleasure to work with. He returns calls and emails, almost immediately, arrived timely for our appointment and had photos to us in no time at all. I look forward to working together in the future!
My seller and I were very happy with the photos Emanuel provided for marketing a 3 story townhouse. He is a true professional and with his background in real estate he knows exactly where to focus the camera to highlight the best features of the rooms and the house in general. It’s not easy!
This was the first time I used Emanuel to photograph one of my listings and he was professional and very easy to work with. The pictures look great and my sellers couldn’t believe it was the same home they grew up in! Thank you!
If your in the market to sell your house, do your self a favor and hire Emanuel to photograph your house. You won’t be disappointed. I was blown away by the beauty and stunning colors that appeared in all the photographs. My house looked like a showcase home and I know this will absolutely help to sell my house. Emanuel is a true professional and perfectionist and will help you stage your house perfectly.
Emanuel photographed 22 Fox Hollow in Sturbridge Lakes within a few days there were 3 offers! 5 Boise Ct in Marlton after 3 days on line there were 2 offers! Happy Sellers Happy Agent! Thanks Emanuel!